Friday, April 20, 2012

Vintage Sewing Fun Finds




I went out today to find a substitute for plastic plates and bowls. I do hate throwing out all that plastic but I don't always have enough of my regular plates and bowls when we have people over. I decided to see if I could find some fun dishes that I can keep in the basement for those moments when I need them. I went to a few thrift stores that aren't as expensive as some closer to home. I also stopped at a new re-use it shop that I've passed quite a few times and always meant to check out. Boy, am I glad I did! I found the above adorable little sewing box. I'm assuming it's vintage but I really don't know. I did a preliminary internet search and found similar looking large sewing cabinets called Priscilla Cabinets. Apparently they were a piece of furniture made in the 1930's during the depression. I love the idea that sewing used to be such a common occurrence that people had a piece of furniture dedicated to the art! My box looks similar but is more the size of a little tool box. 


I also found the two swatches of fabric but I don't think they are vintage. I want to make some more table runners and napkins and may use them for that purpose. I have a few other pieces laying around that are vintage that I've been meaning to use. I think tonight is the night! 


Finally, the quilt you see in all the photos. My dear friend Amy and I went to a local flea market and I bought the quilt top for $15. I wanted it because of all the original feed sack fabrics used in it. The top isn't very flat, nor is it pieced together very exactly but that is part of what I love about it. Originally I was going to tie the quilt but I intend to use this quilt and I wanted to make it a little sturdier than tying would do. As I was pinning the layers together I thought about hand quilting the whole thing. I realized that it would take too much time and since my time is going to be very limited in about a month and a half, I thought I'd better stick with diagonal machine quilting. I'm about half way finished and I'm really glad I decided to machine quilt. It's looking very good and I'm able to keep it fairly flat with my walking foot.


Well, it's a beautiful day today but the weekend is supposed to be rainy. I don't really mind except for the little Confirmation party we're having here on Sunday. I don't want to complain because we do need the rain. My garden is growing nicely and I'm looking forward to getting my tomatoes and peppers in the ground in a few weeks!s

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...