Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's a wrap

Over the summer I felt a nostalgia for the wrap skirt of my past. As a girl, my mother made me quite a few of those easy wraps. I remember learning to make a square knot (as we called them....not probably Boy Scout quality) with the sashes. The wrap seemed the perfect summer skirt. One saturday I came across a yard sale with loads of patterns. Low and behold, the wrap skirt. I think it may even have been the same pattern my mom had. It looked really similar. Unfortunately it was definitely the wrong size. But, says I, how hard can it be to make a larger size? Not hard. So, pattern in hand and measuring tape by my side I plodded through. This is a reversible skirt. I regret the blue on the one side. I'll never wear it out and it's not my favorite blue. It works though.

One thing I forgot about the wrap is that it isn't always modest. Getting in and out of the car, walking in the  wind, etc. can all be a little more revealing than I am comfortable with. Marilyn Monroe I am not. But it was a fun trip down memory lane. It's a great skirt to throw on for church. My summer fling.

2 comments:

volpecircus said...

very pretty!

Hashi said...

I wore these all the time as a teen. I added a couple of press studs (snaps) at strategic places to keep it modest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...