Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gardens of Grace

...is a lovely shop full of gorgeous recast Catholic medals by Alice Cantrell. I think of the blogs I have read over the years, Alice's (A Number of Things) has been one of my favorites. Her artwork is so peaceful and joyful and full of the good things in the home and garden. I've always been amazed at anyone who can draw and paint, as I cannot do either, and anyone who is accomplished with watercolor is beyond amazing to me. Alice, of course, is a watercolorist. Wow.


Ok, enough gushing, although I didn't even get to the part where I talk about her little books
Yesterday I received my package of medals. In my last post I mentioned that I used the money from my Tau wedding gift quilt to purchase some medals from Alice. I decided to work on a St. Therese quilt first. Coincidentally, today is her feast day. If you don't know about St. Therese and her 'little way' just click on the link. She really is one of the great saints of our time with such a simple message. We can all do something small to make a great difference. It is good to remember when we see the grand accomplishments of others and start to believe we have little to show.


I have to admit I sometimes feel this way. 


So, St. Therese reminds me that it isn't always the big grand things that we do in life, it can also be the small that make a difference. So, today, pray for someone you know is hurting, read a book to your child, clean something cheerfully, be grateful for all that has been given you, even if those things include stink bugs and cat hair. Remember, if you have stink bugs in your home, it means you have a place to call your own. If you have cat hair on your furniture, you have a pet to keep you company. So rejoice and do something little.


I'm off to work on my quilt......

2 comments:

Elisa said...

Hey - I followed you over here from Alice Cantrell's blog. I didn't even know she sold these beautiful medals. Do you use them on your quilts somehow?

Alice said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Beth! I am so happy that you like your things! By the way, the little felt Kanga & Roo that I ordered from you a few years back is still a favorite toy of my little girls. I try to keep them up on a high shelf so that they don't get lost (or torn), but they always ask for them down when they see them. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...