Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fun for Me














I've been spending more time looking at things. Seeing the beautiful in the simple details. I gave myself some fun money out of my travel check from work to go fabric and thrift shopping. I took my camera along, too. I used to do that all the time and am trying to do so again. Alicia Paulson has so many comforting things to say about taking pictures of everyday life in her book, Stitched in Time. It really made me want to do the same.


I spent the morning driving into the country (which is getting harder and harder around here with all the development). I drove into the country to go to the Goodville Fabric Outlet. I wasn't really looking for anything but wanted to remind myself of what they have. I want to continue drafting my own patterns and that requires some inexpensive fabric to make my muslin (or practice piece) out of. I was able to get quite a bit of fabric (see the fill a bag for $2 photo) for that cause. It was fun. 


On my way home I stopped at two really wonderful thrift stores. One was a Goodwill and the other a Re-Use It shop. I found some wonderful things. You can see a few of them in the last photo. I guess it's sort of silly to put kitchen things in my sewing room but I love the way they look and I'm hoping to use the tins for some notion storage. I'm absolutely enamored with strawberries, too. I couldn't resist these little salt and pepper shakers. They don't go with our kitchen at all but they make me happy in the sewing room.


I've got lots of little projects in my head right now that I'm hoping to work on as I'm able. Mike and I are heading out to see David Wilcox tonight. I only have one of his albums and it was from before we had kids (Nathan's almost 16) so I doubt we'll hear any of those songs! He's a really great lyricist. There are a few songwriters who can capture parts of life that I didn't really think so much about until I heard the music. David Wilcox is one of them. I'm looking forward to a night out with my man. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...