Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Printing Fabric





I first saw the book Printing By Hand by Lena Corwin many years ago. Printing on fabric has always intrigued me so when I saw this book and how easy it could be I thought I'd like to try it someday. Fast forward to about a year ago when I again saw the book at a fabric shop. I bought it on impulse because it was 1/2 off and proceeded to put it on a shelf for another year. This year I took it along when we went camping and read it from cover to cover. 

Yesterday I found myself with a little extra time and decided to experiment with making a freezer paper stencil. I'm not much of an artist so drawing something and then cutting it out isn't my best skill. I have to say I am pleased with the way it came out. I found this little wallet pattern in a Stitch magazine (sitting on the shelf.....of course) and whipped it up this morning.

I'd like to try to print enough fabric for a baby quilt next. I think I'll stick with geometrics since that's about the extent of my drawing ability! The book covers stamping, stenciling and silk screens. I hope at some point to give them all a try. It may be next summer until I get to it however!

Happy Wednesday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...