Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Autumn Garden











I have always loved the springtime and the new shoots appearing after the long, dark winter. Autumn to me was always joyous because of the relief in temperature from the hot days of August and September. 

This year, I am enjoying the autumn garden for an entirely different reason. One that I'm amazed I never thought much about before and one that is completely thrilling to me.

We had our first frost this past week and it killed the last of my vegetable garden. I've been harvesting a late crop of green beans and my oxheart tomatoes. Alas, they are no more. To be honest, I was ready for them to go. My freezer is full of both tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and frozen green beans. 

Today I spent the morning pulling out all the dead plants from the garden. What I love is seeing all the ways nature prepares for the spring, 6 months ahead of time. I also love to see the little things that are hidden away under the plants that tend to take over. When I cut things back, I find the small green things still growing. Looking at the different ways seeds disperse is also completely amazing to me. I have been teaching these lessons at school with my 3-6 year olds and making them hands on by blowing tissue paper, throwing paper helicopters and shooting beans from plastic cups and balloon bits. We are all having tons of fun while learning about the amazing way God keeps life going on our precious planet.

The way plants keep their offspring going amazes me and makes me want to keep the weeds that I used to throw out. If you drive by my house next year you might think we aren't taking care of things but I'm really thinking by letting nature take over a bit we are really helping out: the birds, the animals, the plants, the soil.

So, my challenge to you: go outside, take a walk and see the autumn garden.....death in preparation for the life to come in spring.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...