Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My Left Brain

I haven't posted for a while because I have been working on a new project. This project has nothing to do with sewing, more to do with my need to de-clutter my life. My kids want to have a game room in our basement in a bad way. Due to the fact that we live in a 100+ year old house, our basement isn't game room friendly. However, I have been thinking long and hard about the amount of "stuff" we have in the basement, and how cluttered it was looking when I would go down to do the laundry.

I convinced the kids that if we got rid of a lot of the boxes of old books and toys that are in the basement, that we could make space to have some kind of rumpus room. To say that they were beyond excitement is downplaying their response. So, on one of those grey, cold days when my boredom with sitting in the schoolroom was at its peak, I began to carry boxes up into our hallway and dinning room. I found about eight boxes of children's books, three boxes of canning jars, three boxes of old tapes, three or four boxes of non-children's books, four boxes of toys I was saving for the grandkids, eight guitar cases, two or three big road cases for guitars and amplifiers (remember, my husband is a REAL MUSICIAN), and various other sundries like pillows I was going to "make over" someday.A trip to the Goodwill drop-off and two trips to the library book drop-off decreased the junk factor by a small margin. I also was able to sell quite a few books on Amazon.

The basement still isn't in good enough shape for a game room (walls need repair and floor needs painted) but at least it will look better for the guys dropping off my new washer tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...