Thursday, July 5, 2007

Prayerful Pondering

In all my obsessiveness about Eastern Market, I have been pondering my purpose as a seamstress (or artisan or whatever you want to call it). I have thought long and hard about what it is that I ENJOY sewing verses what I think might sell. This was the easiest of the questions to answer. I love making quilts.Now, the next question in my head has been, "what is the purpose of Simply Sewn?" Being a Christian, I must ask myself what Christ wants from my life. My husband and I have made lots of decisions based on what we believe we have been called to do. These decisions have not always been "smart" or "fiscally responsible" if one looks at it from a worldly perspective. I quit my job to homeschool our children, Mike quit his corporate job because it was slowly killing him and began teaching music to children. We pay out of pocket for our health insurance because of it. I have gone to Mass and cried to God, "but what happens if..." and "This doesn't make sense, how will we pay for _____ if ____happens?" The answer that was provided to me was "Yes, you are right, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense in the world's eyes but it does make sense to Me." Powerful. I have realized that I have let my prayer and Bible study go due to this sewing business. I have dedicated myself back to my early morning "gift to God" of my time in prayer and study. Yes, it is only 7:30 am but I get up early and have already read and prayed (and drank three cups of coffee). Yesterday I read about the "ideal wife" in Proverbs to try to get a sense of how to balance my life as a wife and mother. This wife sews, she sells her wares, she gives to the poor, she works hard, she provides for her family, she watches her family's conduct to make sure it is upstanding, she is God fearing. I know I am a work in progress and I am praying that God show me what he wants me to do with all this sewing......I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...