Saturday, December 13, 2008

Santa Lucia Day

Today is Santa Lucia Day or the Feast of Saint Lucy. Lucy is one of those saints that we really know very little about. She lived during the time of the Romans only a few hundred years after Christ. She was martyred for her belief in Christ. She is the patron saint of blindness due to having her eyes poked out during her torture. She is often depicted holding her eyes on a plate. Grisly, I know. Boys tend to love that stuff, though, so I always throw it in. Mainly we talk about how hard it is to stand up for what you believe in and to remember Lucy, whose name means "Light". Let us be a Light for Christ.Last year I made the little Santa Lucia dolls from Alicia Paulson's blog. Mine aren't quite as nice as hers but they work. This year I added the little singing star boys. I saw this idea on Dawn's blog. They boys are made using Nathan and Nolan's favorite colors, blue (Nathan) and red (Nolan). Since I get up at the break of dawn, I decided to try to make Santa Lucia bread. Start baking at 6am, eat at 9:30am. It was a fun start to our Saturday. We are getting the tree today. I'll post pictures of our decorations on the 15th.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...