Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Favorite Summer Lunch

We've been trying to eat healthier this year. It all started out because Mike was having a lot of joint pain in his hands. For a musician that is really scary. As he looked into possible causes, wheat allergies came to the forefront. So, in desperation, he stopped eating all grains. His pain went away. His skin cleared up. His sinuses stopped draining. He lost weight. 


Needless to say, he has continued eating naturally and mostly grain free. I'd like to find out more specifically which grain he is allergic to. Is it wheat, corn or something else? He doesn't really care. To accommodate him, I've vastly changed the way I cook and the type of foods around the house. I buy very little that is processed. We buy our fruits and veggies at market twice a week. We're looking at planting a garden. 
So the picture above is my favorite summer lunch. The lettuce changes depending on what I find at market but the rest is pretty standard: red pepper, carrot, cucumber (always peeled...I hate the skin), goat feta (made here in Lancaster county), tomato and calamata olives. Although I should make my own dressing, I'm lazy and partial to Neuman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar. Yum, Yum. 

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Looks very yummy and healthy! I should try the goat feta -- I go by that place every time the kids get apple cider.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...