Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Taking a Hard Look

I don't like to say no. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. If I can help, I will. Sometimes, even if I really can't help or don't have the time, or see that it really isn't what my kids need, I do it anyway.

As the school year is approaching I have found myself in a few situations where I tried to fit in activities or classes to please other people. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to remind myself that my priority is to my children, not others. Don't get me wrong, these other people aren't pressuring me to be involved nor are they guilting me into anything. I don't need the guilt of others, I've got lots of my own. It's all me.

I'm learning. Slowly. I've been able to say no this year. I've been taking a good, hard look at what my boys need academically, socially and most importantly, spiritually. That means doing for them, not for others. It means going against the flow. It means leaving old groups and joining new ones. It means pushing them and myself into sometimes uncharted waters. It feels uncomfortable at times. Other times it is freeing.

So I'm finishing out the summer months trying to remember that it's o.k. to put ourselves first for a change. I know that if we are worn out and over extended, we are no good to anyone. To fill my own cup means that I will always have something left over for others. I want my cup to be full. I want to have enough to share.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...