Monday, August 16, 2010

Of skirts and roses

I know, I know. Several days (or was it weeks) ago I said I'd post some of the sewing I'd completed this summer. Here's a not-so-great view of the skirt I made from the Sew Serendipity book. I really love this skirt and want to make a few more. I didn't add any of the "extras" that abound in the book. She shows you how to add ruffles and edging and pockets and ruffles on the pockets, etc. Too be honest, I'm not quite that fancy. But....I do love the way she puts in a zipper and I also adore the fact that her models come in all shapes and sizes. Different body shapes and sizes really change the way a dress or skirt look. It's nice to be able to see how something may look on YOU (not the skinny, flat chested model) before you expend the money and energy making something. I've gotten a lot of compliments on this skirt and it truly was very simple to make. I did find the sizing to be a bit off. But, it could just be me, not the pattern. Maybe I'm measuring myself wrong. On the upside.....I was able to use a smaller size than I thought, so I'm not complaining!

Here's a picture from the yard that I wanted to share. It made me think of these words:
Hope amidst despair. 
Mike and I have destroyed one of my flower beds in an attempt to eradicate the bamboo that had taken over. As you can see, we are still in the process of digging out all the bamboo roots. This isn't going to be a quick process. I'm learning that few things worth doing are fast and easy. This morning I noticed that the roses that live on the side of this bed have really blossomed (pun intended). I think perhaps giving them some freedom from the bamboo and day lilies that were crowding around has helped. Of course, I know nothing about roses so who knows why they are looking so beautiful. It is so nice to sit here at the laptop and see their beauty amid the mess. Let us always look for the beauty no matter the mess we see.

1 comment:

amy said...

Yes, a metephor for life...

Get rid of what is not bearing good fruit to make room for the simply beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...