Wednesday, August 3, 2011

From the Library

I don't know how I would get through life without our library. I have checked out so many delicious books over the year that I never would have had the chance to read otherwise. To be honest, I don't keep too many books at home because I can always get almost anything I want to read at the library. Here are some of my current reads:


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is a fabulous book by Barbara Kingsolver. Mike and I are really trying to eat locally and naturally as much as we can. This book describes the year that Barbara's family spent eating only locally grown (and mostly home grown) foods. It is also a fantastic wealth of information about America's food industry and seasonal eating. I highly recommend it.


Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden And Your Neighborhood into a Community
Food, Not Lawns, is a book I've had on hold for a while but only checked out this week. As we are moving to eliminate the grass on our property and turn it into a garden, I was interested in this book. I believe (after only reading a chapter or two) that the premise is to bring community through sharing of locally grown, organic vegetables in your neighborhood.
The Backyard Homestead: Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!
The Backyard Homesteader is an excellent reference book for anyone looking to add gardens or livestock to their backyard. I don't know that we have enough space for chickens (but I'm thinking on it) but we will use this book when thinking about our rain barrels, compost and garden. A great reference.


I've a few more that are related to food but I think I'll save those for another day. I'm off to sit in a comfy chair and read through some more books. Again I say....what would I do without the library???

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...