Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sorry, I Drank all the Coffee...



It has been very cold here in PA this week. 

Did I mention it was very cold here? Did I also mention that some of our radiators aren't working? 

When the temperature is in the teens and the wind chill sends the temperature to around 0, my body goes into hibernation mode. Our house has been an ice box. I was thinking about taking my sleeping bag to work since it's toasty warm there.

Unfortunately, when it is cold and dark and my body is in hibernation mode I just want to crawl under my electric blanket with a book and not come out again until spring. 

~sigh~


Lets just say I wasn't real motivated to work on my creative resolution this week. I forced myself to get the quilting done anyway. I could only do a little at a time before my hands were frozen blocks of ice. I'm glad this was a baby quilt and not a queen size or it would never get done!

Fortunately, every week ends in a nice little weekend and my Saturday morning started off by me waking up at 4:30 a.m. I didn't actually get out of bed until 5:30 but I did manage to drink almost a whole pot of coffee before my husband was up and about. 

While highly caffeinated I also managed to cut and attach the binding to the quilt. If you remember, my goal was to sew the binding on properly, not almost properly like I usually do. 

I'm pretty good at binding, if I must say so myself, until it comes to attaching the binding to itself once I've gone 'round the quilt. The binding should be sewn on an angle anywhere it is attached and I have never been very good (read that as patient enough) at getting the ends to line up correctly. So, usually I just sew a straight line where the ends meet up and call it a day. Every time I do it I am ashamed of myself. I think, "I know I can do this properly but I just don't want to take the time. No on will notice anyway, right????"

Shame on me. Well, I did vow I'd do it properly this time so I took out my handy binding ruler which is supposed to make things super easy. Guess what? It still took me about 5 tries (which means ripping things apart 5 times) before I finally got it right. Luckily I know better than to cut the ends off the binding before sewing it together like they recommend. I know myself better than that!
In the end, I got the binding sewn to the quilt and pinned to the back ready for the last step (hand sewing it to the back). And all before 9 a.m.

Of course, Mike had to make another pot of coffee when he got up.......

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...