Sunday, January 4, 2015

Time and Creativity


I've been thinking quite a bit about my creative resolution since deciding to make it. In some ways, putting time limits on creativity is good and in some ways very bad. What is good for me is that time limits force me to get to work. Knowing I have two quilts to finish this month has made me get to work planning and cutting. The time limit isn't just of my own making (that I would focus on quilting in the month of January) but also of a natural sort (the two baby quilts are presents for babies due to arrive in February). 

The down side of time constraints mean less time to fuss and think and fix and redo. However, part of being creative is in the doing. Part of being creative is in the taking a look at your creativity and critiquing it. I heard once that the most creative people aren't afraid to take a risk, to put themselves out there, to just go ahead and take the plunge, no matter if the creating is good or not so good. 

So I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. I've had off work for two weeks due to Winter Break at school and must go back tomorrow. I spent a lot of time in my classroom cleaning and reorganizing and putting new works on the shelf for January. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of time this takes. I'm taking a look at my time, asking myself if I am spending it wisely. I'm trying to determine if there is some way to streamline what I do at school so that I have more time for other pursuits. Like quilting!

So Friday I spent working on my quilt, Saturday on my classroom, and this morning back to quilting. One of the major necessities in quilting is measuring. I find that no matter how hard I try, no matter how accurate I think I am being, my measurements are always a little off. Oh my. Something to continue to work on, to focus more deeply on the next quilt.

In the meantime I am off to the fabric store to buy the backing for this quilt. I like to use flannel because it is so warm and snug, something necessary when a baby is born in the middle of winter. I hope to get the quilt sandwiched and pinned today if possible. I fear time may not be on my side, however!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...