Monday, April 16, 2007

Quilters' Heritage Celebration

I attended my first quilt show yesterday. It was completely overwhelming. There were so many quilts to look at that after awhile my eyes went buggy. We were there on a rainy, rainy day and so there weren't many others in attendance. This was bad for the show but good for us (my quilting friend, Paulette, went with me) because we did not have to deal with the hustle and bustle.

The quilt that amazed me is in the picture. If you can believe it, this is only the THIRD quilt she made. The quilt is called Mother Earth and Her Children and was made by Sieglinde Smith. She was inspired by a book from her childhood (she is from Germany but lives in Carlisle, PA now) called Etwas von den Wurzelkindern (Something About the Root Children). The entire quilt was hand sewn and embroidered. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Here are some close-ups of the bugs and Root Children. There was so much to see in this quilt that I could have looked at it all day. We spoke with Mrs. Smith's husband. He told us that she started quilting after their son died several years ago to help her with her grief. He also told us that she was approached about making a book from her quilts. I can understand why.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...