Well, this little project isn't quite finished, but it is almost there. My adoring husband painted my sewing room a few weeks ago. I just love it that he likes to paint walls. I am not so fond of it myself but will do it if I have to. The problem with doing something I don't like so much is that I also don't always do the best job. So, needless to say, I'm really glad he will paint for me. Above is the room mid-fix. There was some not so beautiful stenciling all around the room which really bothered me. You can see that was the first to go. Take note of the light in the room. I'll talk about that at the end of the post.I picked a color that would coordinate with the pillows and cushion on my blanket chest. It is Martha Stewart's Anjou Pear. I like the color and I love the name. Martha comes up with the best names for things, doesn't she? The teacher that I work with told me her mother picks paint colors by their names, not their colors! For instance, she painted her bedroom a color called Pony Tail because she said it reminded her of her girls. Don't you just love that?Here you can see I got a few of my mini quilts on the wall. I hung my candy table runner above the blanket chest as it just didn't really fit on any table. I love the way it looks and also how the black, red, white and yellow minis look together. It really makes me happy. I was planning to hang my pinwheel quilt on the short wall but it just wasn't looking right to me. It occurred to me that I could make a design wall. I emailed Jacquie to ask how she made hers but ended up doing something a little different. I may eventually regret not doing it her way!I used white flannel and cotton batting to make a "wall quilt" of sorts. I actually just nailed it to the wall and then made a border out of red and white polka dot fabric. At the moment the fabric is pinned to the quilt. I need to decide how to make it more permanent. My original idea was to actually make this as a quilt and then hang it on the wall so that I could wash it if needed but still hang my blocks on it. I began to realize that I probably needed something a bit more stable on the wall and got a little crazy with the nails. I'll let you know how this works for me. Right now I just have scraps hanging up there.
Here is my lighting fix. The old light, which you can see in the first picture, really was very dim (and really not my style). I also hit it all the time when I was folding my fabric. I wanted task lighting but knew I'd never spend the money to get the room rewired. Low and behold, I found this lovely light at Lowe's. It works perfectly for my small room. Each light swivels to where I need it. I'm very pleased with this find. There is one and a half problems with it though....the first is that the bulbs are very expensive ($8 each) and the half problem is that they give off quite a bit of heat. Obviously this is a half problem because in the winter I'm happy they give off heat but in the summer I might not feel so happy about it!
Well, I'm happy about my room right now. I'm hoping to get my sewing supplies a bit more organized tonight and do a bit of sewing this weekend. I have a few small projects in mind.