Friday, June 12, 2009

Summertime Joy

I have to say that I'm feeling happy. Here are a few of my current joys:

Sitting in our sunroom on a Friday morning before the house is awake. Mornings are my favorite time of day. It is just the kitties and me. This morning I had a bowl of yummy homemade granola (recipe follows) in one of my favorite bowls.
I can't get enough of homemade goodies now that I have some time to make them. This recipe was given to me when Nolan was two (he's 11 now). I just made it for the first time a few weeks ago and again on Wednesday. We love it.

Here's another fun favorite thing that makes me happy:

My mother-in-law was filling in one of her long-time neighbors about their impending move and the goings-on of all the kids (and in-law kids). When she told her about what I am doing, the neighbor gave her this book for me. She said she's been saving it until she found the right person to give it to. Well, needless to say I was thrilled. I love the whole book, especially the little pictures on the cover.
So, it is now evening and you can see how my day started. I spent quite a few hours cleaning out a room for my in-laws, took the kids to the Science Factory, took a load of boxes out of the in-law house with Mike and then out for dinner with my sweetie. It was a good day.

Here's the granola recipe:

5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ (I've been using oat bran since I have some in the freezer)
1 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds (ok, these are expensive and I used my stash the first time and none the second time)
1 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts

Combine above in large pan.

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

heat above in saucepan until sugar dissolves. DO NOT BOIL.
Pour over dry ingredients. Mix until blended. Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir often.
You can add 1 cup raisins after the granola cools. I don't really like raisins in my cereal so I leave them out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...