Friday, August 7, 2009

Melancholy

I thought I'd spend more time sewing, more time blogging this summer. I find that I just don't have the desire for too much of either. Maybe it's because I've been trying to get some other projects out of the way. Maybe not. I find that my life is full of seasons. I'm still trying to figure it all out. I've been feeling melancholy lately. I think some of it has to do with the book I've been reading. I love Alicia Paulson's blog for so many reasons....the sewing, the cooking, the book recommendations, her cute husband (ok....you didn't read that...). I took a few of her book suggestions and went to the library. I started with Little, Big. The book is very other-worldly and I'm enjoying it but I find myself feeling so lost and melancholy while reading. I finally had to put it down and start up with a light mystery. This has helped.

I think some of my melancholy comes from the boys starting Middle school and Jr. High this year. I'm ready for it and I'm not. There's a part of me that wants to shirk the world and keep them close. To take nature walks and read the classics. To have the freedom to come and go as we please. Homeschooling them in the past was good and bad. So much of the good I'm still craving. I know I can't live in my little bubble forever. I'm almost hoping the last few weeks of summer fly by so that I can see all the good that will come of the new schools. It is the waiting and wondering that I'm not so good at.

The picture at the top of this post is of my new bedroom curtains. I took this idea from Martha Stewart. I'm really pleased with them. Well, I'm off to some new chore. I think it should be to clean the kitchen floor but I'm not convinced I'll actually do it. I might just sit down with my mystery and let the afternoon move on at its own pace.

1 comment:

volpecircus said...

What lovely curtains! I just love how the like peeks through them. :)

You guys will continue to be in my prayers for school and for the boys. May they have a blessed school year full of good friends and joy.

ps- i'll get back to you soon on that liturgical planner...i promise. we have been so busy around here and after tomorrow it "should" slow down...for a few days. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...