Monday, August 2, 2010

Bread Credits

I know, I know....I haven't posted in a long time. I've wanted to, really I have. It amazes me how quickly time passes. We have a busy few weeks ahead of us. Last week the boys and I spent most of the day (like 8:30am-9pm) at our Church's youth outreach camp. It is a wonderful way for teens to help parishioners and local agencies. This is the second year my boys were eligible to attend. Boy was I tired at the end of the week. This week is vacation. We rarely go away for the entire week for many reasons. This week we will head to the beach for a few days and take a few day trips. Yesterday we visited a goat farm where they make cheese out of goat milk. We have been buying cheese from them at Central Market (yummy...if you are from Lancaster you must get some) and they hosted an open house (open farm??) yesterday. We were able to see the goats and learn about the cheese making process. Lovely family (they homeschool, too). We then headed out to Jim Macs for mini golf and ice cream. Again, if you live anywhere near me (Jim Macs is actually in York county) you can get wonderful ice cream for CHEAP! Yum.


Today we're off to Hershey Park. We had no intention of getting there this year because the ticket prices are so high. Then, what to my amazement, I won four tickets! So....we're off later this morning. Needless to say the boys are very excited. They were able to go earlier this summer with Mike's sister and her fiance' so this will be the first time in their lives to get there twice in one summer. 


Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and WearIn sewing related news, I have been making clothes this summer. I know I promised to show you what I've been making and I still have to take pictures. I find photography to be more difficult in this house. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, after reading a post from my friend Michele about the book Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear, I headed out to Border's and was able to purchase it with a VERY good discount. I've made a dress and skirt so far. I also purchased several patterns from a garage sale that I'm hoping to work on this summer. I'm really going to try to get you some photos of the items I've made. I'm making it a priority (once vacation is over, that is).


Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free IngredientsArtisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home BakingFinally....the title of this post, Bread Credits. What, you may wonder, am I talking about? Well, Nathan starts High School this year (how did that happen???). So, he needs to work on earning credits. One nice thing about homeschooling is that he can earn credits a little here and a little there. He loves to bake so I thought one of his electives could be cooking/baking. Nolan will be away at camp next week so I thought this would be a great week to start working on those credits. I've been wanting to bake bread and he likes to eat bread (always a good motivator) and since there is a lot of science that goes into bread making I thought this would be a great place to start. The downside to the bread making (for me) is the bread eating. Thus, I thought I'd try to find some healthier recipes. I've looked through the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking cookbook and thought it looked interesting and recently saw Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients. I'm hoping the library will have copies of both. If you have any bread making tips or recipes....send them our way! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...