Anyway, I was pondering summer reading for the boys and first thought I'd check my book shelves. Here's what I've got without having to lift a finger:
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
- Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
- The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry
- Milkweed by Jerry Spnelli
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
- Lord of the Rings part 1 by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli
- Selected Poems and Letters by Emily Dickenson
- The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter (this is Nolan's favorite series and he is DYING for his brother to read some of the books. I may make book one mandatory for Nathan).
I haven't decided how to implement summer reading for the boys. They've always been fond of earning things so I may just get my creative juices flowing and see what I can come up with. It just makes things fun, I think.
One thing we haven't done for a while is to read a book out loud as a family. I'm thinking we'll start one soon. I might read Lord of the Rings or Watership Down. We have a lot of bunnies in our yard so the boys might get a kick out of their adventures.
If you have favorite books for summer reading.....tell me, tell me!