Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Reading

There is no better time to read than the lazy days of summer. Sitting under a tree on a sweltering day, lounging by the pool, hiding under an umbrella at the beach. All good spots. A hammock strung between two trees would be delightful but I don't have one of those. Maybe I should put it on a dream list for the house....


Anyway, I was pondering summer reading for the boys and first thought I'd check my book shelves. Here's what I've got without having to lift a finger:

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
  • Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
  • Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry
  • Milkweed by Jerry Spnelli
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  • Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
  • Lord of the Rings part 1 by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli
  • Selected Poems and Letters by Emily Dickenson
  • The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter (this is Nolan's favorite series and he is DYING for his brother to read some of the books. I may make book one mandatory for Nathan).
I haven't decided how to implement summer reading for the boys. They've always been fond of earning things so I may just get my creative juices flowing and see what I can come up with. It just makes things fun, I think. 

One thing we haven't done for a while is to read a book out loud as a family. I'm thinking we'll start one soon. I might read Lord of the Rings or Watership Down. We have a lot of bunnies in our yard so the boys might get a kick out of their adventures.

If you have favorite books for summer reading.....tell me, tell me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...