Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Antique Quilt Love








Several months ago when I went to the Goodville Fabric Outlet, I picked up a flyer for an antique quilt show at Historic Poole Forge. I've had it hanging in my sewing room ever since. Today was such a gorgeous day that I should have been out in our yard but I pulled a muscle or something in my neck and have been in pain all day. I figured since I wasn't going to be productive I might as well go to the quilt show. I am so glad I did. It was amazing!


These are just a few of the photos. I'll put more up tomorrow. I have all the photos on my facebook page if you are interested. Each quilt had a little tag with some information about it. To be honest, most of the quilts did not have that much known information. They were from the 30's and 40's mostly. I drooled over all the feed sack fabric. The top photo is the house where the quilts were exhibited. The entire grounds were beautiful with several stone buildings. I don't know much about the place but I know they have lots of information on the web site. It would be a great place to have a picnic as there is a lovely stream and covered bridge on the property.


Most of the quilts were probably hand sewn. The details on some of them were just amazing. The quilting was so perfect. All those little, tiny, exact stitches. It makes me think I should be getting more accomplished every day. I guess they didn't have facebook or blogs or pinterest or netflix back then!


Take a look at the 7th photo from the top. The quilt that is pink with lots of applique. The little card said that a woman made this quilt for her son who was a conscientious objector in one of the wars (WWII, probably). He had to go work in a government camp of some sort and couldn't come home or have much contact with his family. This mother sewed the quilt to quiet her anxiety, often stitching at night when she couldn't sleep. After the war he returned home and she presented him with the quilt for his wedding. Isn't that a lovely story. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who stitches at night when I can't sleep!


I also adore the double wedding ring quilt (last two photos). The fabric is divine and I'm sure the whole thing was sewn by hand. I can't imagine the amount of time it took. The quilter probably didn't have a cutting board and rotary cutter, either!


Well, this little jaunt has renewed me in a quilting sense. I actually worked quite a bit this morning on my most current quilt and got a lot accomplished. I still have a lot of hand applique to complete before I can put the whole thing together. I should be stitching every day. I guess that's the only way it will get done on time! Happy stitching and more quilts to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...